Pink floyd - Atom heart mother

MarkS
Heeft Geen Leven
Contacteer:

Re: Pink floyd - Atom heart mother

Bericht door MarkS » 07 nov 2019, 11:00

Is dat zo? Qua platen dan, want Mamamini is volledig van de pot gerukt qua meubilair e.d.
It's a question of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter.

United Hope
Forumspammer
Forumspammer

Bericht door United Hope » 07 nov 2019, 11:19

ja die zijn gek
:belly: Hambu Ho do :belly:

United Hope
Forumspammer
Forumspammer

Bericht door United Hope » 07 nov 2019, 11:20

met lps

Richardus
Meganerd

Bericht door Richardus » 07 nov 2019, 11:49

MarkS schreef:
07 nov 2019, 09:34
Richardus schreef:
07 nov 2019, 06:29
MarkS schreef:
06 nov 2019, 17:57
Siegfried Stahl schreef:
16 sep 2015, 21:12
Hmmm...ik ben er twee keer ingetrapt met Pink Floyd dus ik vertrouw zulke uitspraken niet meer.
Ik veel vaker. Elke keer dacht ik: "Dan is dit zeker die geniale plaat van PF." omdat iedereen dat dan beweerde.
Ik hen net alle platen (behalve Wish You Were Here) naar de kringloopwinkel gebracht.
Welke????
Goud Goed aan het Damsterdiep.
OK zal wanneer ik op tijd vrij ben ns gaan kijken. Wordt dan volgende week vrijdag ofzo :lol: laat dus ook maar
Facilitator, katalysator, transformator

Whatever makes you happy, dude.

MarkS
Heeft Geen Leven
Contacteer:

Bericht door MarkS » 07 nov 2019, 12:20

Als ik dat had geweten had je ze mogen komen ophalen...
It's a question of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter.

Richardus
Meganerd

Bericht door Richardus » 07 nov 2019, 13:04

Ach joh, heb er 2 en luister die ook zelden
Facilitator, katalysator, transformator

Whatever makes you happy, dude.

(klaz*)
Forumgod

Bericht door (klaz*) » 07 nov 2019, 13:21

MarkS schreef:
07 nov 2019, 11:00
Is dat zo? Qua platen dan, want Mamamini is volledig van de pot gerukt qua meubilair e.d.
Daar hebben wij jaren geleden onze eettafel gekocht! Een Mechelse tafel uit eind negentiende eeuw. :)

Krautsurfer
Forum Diva

Bericht door Krautsurfer » 07 nov 2019, 15:54

Hee UH!
Als het dan toch over eettafels gaat:
Wat vind je van Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast?
Laatst gewijzigd door Krautsurfer op 07 nov 2019, 16:30, 2 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Too Freud to live
Too Jung to die

Krautsurfer
Forum Diva

Bericht door Krautsurfer » 07 nov 2019, 16:10

Nog wat interessante weetjes voor de geïnteresseerde lezer:

It’s believed Pink Floyd performed the first version of their new instrumental on January 17, 1970 at the Lawns Centre in Hull. But they were still undecided on their next recording project.

“We’re going to do the music for an Alan Aldridge TV cartoon series called Rollo,” Waters announced in Melody Maker. “It’s rather Yellow Submarine-ish, about a little boy in space.”

But Waters never mentioned Rollo again. Instead, Pink Floyd entered EMI’s Abbey Road studios in early March to begin recording their new work. EMI had just installed state-of-the-art eight-track recorders that used a specific one-inch tape. The company insisted this tape was not to be spliced and used for edits, which meant Waters and Mason had the unenviable task of recording the backing track for their new composition in one 23.44-minute take. “It demanded the full range of our limited musicianship,” Mason said in his memoir, Inside Out.

Pink Floyd had been playing the piece live for some weeks by now, tweaking the arrangement. “We added, subtracted and multiplied the elements,” said Mason. “But it still seemed to lack an essential something.” The band eventually decided that the missing ‘something’ was an orchestra and a choir. But first they needed someone to write a score.

Enter Ron Geesin, an Ayrshire-born banjo player, pianist, poet and writer. Geesin had started his career in a jazz band in the early 60s. By 1970 he was composing TV soundtracks in his basement flat/studio in Notting Hill. Mason met Geesin through a mutual friend, the Rolling Stones’ tour manager Sam Jonas Cutler. Geesin wasn’t familiar with Floyd’s music. And when he did hear some, he wasn’t impressed. “I called it ‘astral wanderings’,” he said.

Geesin also preferred opera to most rock’n’roll, and he took Mason, Gilmour and keyboard player Rick Wright to hear Wagner’s Parsifal at Covent Garden. “I think it’s significant that they all fell asleep,” he grumbled. Still, Geesin was the obvious choice to compose the score. He and Waters were already writing music for a scientific documentary called The Body. Between them they crafted a soundtrack from conventional instruments and ‘human noises’ such as breathing, talking and farting. Atom Heart Mother would offer a similar fusion of ordinary and extraordinary sounds.

Talking in 2006, Geesin said Pink Floyd had only the vaguest idea of what they wanted. “As far as I can remember, Dave talked to me about the theme and Rick came round to my studio and we went through a few phrases for the vocal section. The Floyd then went off to play in America and left me to get on with it.”

Geesin composed his score in the midst of a heatwave, “stripped down to my underpants” in his Notting Hill basement. This half-naked Scotsman would play a vital role in Pink Floyd’s next album. The early 1970s were a challenging time for classical session musicians – it was as if every long-haired rock group wanted cellos and tubas on their records. First The Beatles, then The Moody Blues, The Nice and Deep Purple. Now Pink Floyd.

Ron Geesin had just recorded a TV commercial with members of the New Philharmonic Orchestra, and they’d treated him with respect. But when Geesin and the Floyd reconvened at Abbey Road in June, the EMI Pops Orchestra regarded Ron as another clueless hippie, and made the session as difficult as possible. It didn’t help that an error in the score meant the first beat of the bar was absent, rendering it almost unplayable.

“For the more experienced director, it would have been considered a normal display of nerves and status-jostling and would have been put in its place,” Geesin said. “But I was a novice. I was not a conductor. You’d ask the EMI players a question and it was all, ‘You tell us… I don’t understand.’ One of the horn players was especially mouthy.” When Geesin threatened to hit the mouthy horn player, he was told to leave. “They removed me,” he explained.

Geesin’s replacement was conductor John Alldis, a respected choral scholar. The contrary session musicians quickly fell in line, while Alldis’s choir contributed the track’s haunted-sounding, wordless vocals. Waters’s description of the Atom Heart Mother suite’s opening movement (later titled Father’s Shout) as “plodding” is apt. But three minutes in, the plodding ends and Gilmour’s slide guitar takes over, underpinning Icelandic session man Hafliði Hallgrímsson’s lovely, mournful cello. In moments such as these you get a taste of what Pink Floyd would soon achieve on Meddle and The Dark Side Of The Moon.

On the fourth movement, Funky Dung, the guitar and Hammond organ play lazy tag on what sounds like a precursor to Any Colour You Like. The choir’s gospel-like vocals evoke those later heard on Eclipse. Geesin and Waters’s Give Birth To A Smile, from the soundtrack for The Body and included on The Early Years, also used female backing vocals, alongside the rest of an uncredited Pink Floyd.

Meanwhile, the suite’s fifth section, Mind Your Throats Please, merged Nick Mason’s distorted voice shouting “Silence in the studio!” with the sound of Rick Wright’s piano played through a Leslie speaker cabinet, a trick later used on Echoes.

Perhaps inevitably, Geesin was frustrated by the finished article. Under John Alldis’s direction, the brass had become softer, less aggressive. “It wasn’t how I’d envisaged it,” Geesin said, before conceding: “It was a good compromise.”

On June 27, Pink Floyd played the Bath Festival Of Blues And Progressive Music, joined by Alldis’s choir and the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble. They didn’t make it on stage until dawn, and Waters introduced their new suite as The Amazing Pudding. “It was a heavenly sound,” claimed the reviewer in Disc And Music Echo. It was less heavenly for a tuba player who had a pint of beer tipped into his instrument before the show.
Too Freud to live
Too Jung to die

Krautsurfer
Forum Diva

Bericht door Krautsurfer » 07 nov 2019, 16:26

Hier trouwens de eerste studioversie, uit de Zabriskie-point sessies:

Link

Dus zonder Ron Geesin.
Too Freud to live
Too Jung to die

Krautsurfer
Forum Diva

Bericht door Krautsurfer » 07 nov 2019, 16:27

En dan ook maar de studio-versie zoals we allemaal kennen:

Link

Dus met Geesin.
Too Freud to live
Too Jung to die

United Hope
Forumspammer
Forumspammer

Bericht door United Hope » 07 nov 2019, 16:33

Krautsurfer schreef:
07 nov 2019, 15:54
Hee UH!
tsja - wat zal ik zeggen
Het is niet vreselijk ofzo - ik kan me alleen heel goed een vol en prettig leven voorstellen zonder het ooit gehoord te hebben .
En ik ben nooit zo vreselijk gecharmeerd van de piano . En ik hou niet van marmelade dus ik zou niet graag met Alan een broodje eten .

Krautsurfer
Forum Diva

Bericht door Krautsurfer » 07 nov 2019, 16:36

United Hope schreef:
07 nov 2019, 16:33
Krautsurfer schreef:
07 nov 2019, 15:54
Hee UH!
tsja - wat zal ik zeggen
Het is niet vreselijk ofzo - ik kan me alleen heel goed een vol en prettig leven voorstellen zonder het ooit gehoord te hebben .
En ik ben nooit zo vreselijk gecharmeerd van de piano . En ik hou niet van marmelade dus ik zou niet graag met Alan een broodje eten .
Die piano is inderdaad wat zout, om in de juiste terminologie te blijven.
Maar het gitaarstukje heb ik altijd prima gevonden.
Laatst losgemaakt van de rest van het nummer en op een cd met soortgelijke nummers van Floyd gezet, en dan werkt het wonderbaarlijk goed.
Too Freud to live
Too Jung to die

Plaats reactie